A CONVERATION ON NUCLEAR ENERGY
As part of the BNEF Future of Energy Summit
On April 14, 2015 Nuclear Matters and Bloomberg BNA hosted "A Conversation on Nuclear Energy," a panel discussion conducted during Bloomberg New Energy Finance's three-day Future of Energy Summit, held in New York City.
- Tom Blees, President, The Science Council
- Senator Judd Gregg, Co-Chair, Nuclear Matters
- Mark Marano, President, Americas, Westinghouse Electric Company
- Gary Mignogna, President and Chief Executive Officer, Areva
- Michael Twomey, Vice President of External Affairs, Entergy Wholesale Commodities
- Chris Gadomski, Lead Analyst, Nuclear, Bloomberg New Energy Finance
Panelists conducted a wide-ranging discussion on the variety of challenges confronting nuclear plants, including the fact that 20% of the reactors in the United States face premature decommissioning, according to former Senator Judd Gregg, Co-Chair, Nuclear Matters. Key themes included: on-grid competition from non-nuclear producers, the important role nuclear producers play in maintaining grid reliability, the carbon reduction benefits of nuclear energy, reactor reliability, the cost-effectiveness of nuclear power, the untapped capacity levels of existing reactors and the coming generation of nuclear reactors.