A Chain Reaction: The Role of Nuclear Energy in New England’s Energy Mix
On June 24, Bloomberg BNA convened a forum in Boston titled, “A Chain Reaction: The Role of Nuclear Energy in New England’s Energy Mix.” This was the second in a series of events running in key cities across the US designed to raise awareness, address the regional challenges faced by existing nuclear energy plants and explore the future of nuclear energy.
- John F. Kotek, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary, Office of Nuclear Energy, Department of Energy
- William Mohl, President, Entergy Wholesale Commodities
- Former Senator Judd Gregg, Co-Chair, Nuclear Matters
- Seth Grae, President & CEO, Lightbridge
- Jay Surina, CFO, NuScale
- Daniel Weekley, Vice President, Corporate Affairs, Dominion Resources
- Simon Irish, Chief Executive, Director, Terrestrial Energy
- Dr. Charles Forsberg, Executive Director, MIT Nuclear Fuel Cycle Project
- Chris Gadomski, Lead Analyst, Nuclear, Bloomberg New Energy Finance
The program first explored how New England's nuclear plants support environmental goals and energy security, and discussed the challenges facing the region's fleet. Looking to the future, a second panel presented speakers from companies and research institutions that are designing innovative Generation IV nuclear power plants and technology to enhance the existing fleet's competitiveness and output.
The event opened with a keynote conversation between John F. Kotek, Acting Assistant Secretary for the Office of Nuclear Energy at the Department of Energy, and Chris Gadomski, Head of Research, Nuclear, at Bloomberg New Energy Finance. Kotek, who oversees nuclear energy research and development programs, discussed the Administration’s views on challenges facing the industry, budgetary support for the industry, and the role nuclear energy can play in addressing environmental concerns.